AGGRESSION & ASSAULT :
* 51% of Canadian women have experienced at least one incident of violence since the age of 16. (Statistics Canada, 1993)
* 1 in 10 woman have experienced violence in the past twelve months. 27% of these women are under the age of 25. (Statistics Canada, 1993)
* 78% of assaults on women are by a male who is known to her. (Statistics Canada, 1993)
* 25% of all women have experienced violence at the hands of a current or past marital partner. (Statistics Canada, 1993)
* Children who see abuse in the home have a level of adjustment problems comparable to that of children who are physically abused themselves. (D. Wolfe et al, Journal of Clinical & Consulting Psychology, 1985)
* 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 10 boys are sexually assaulted before the age of 18. (United Way Study, Vancouver, 1984)
* Victims of sexual assault are physically hurt in at least 60% of cases. (Ministry of the Solicitor General of Canada, 1985)
* 90% of women report receiving unwanted sexual attention on the job. (Canadian Union of Public Employees, 1980)
No matter what the statistics are, if YOU are being harassed or assaulted, it will be 100%!
These crimes occur daily. There is no particular age that is safe. Small babies all the way through to women over 90 years of age have been assaulted. These attacks are all abuses of power, where the attacker (most probably male) uses the act of violence to dominate and demonstrate power over the attackee. Violence is used to show women that we do not have the right to say "NO" or to control our own bodies, sexuality, or actions.
YOU MAY NEED TO FIGHT BACK TO SURVIVE
You are fully supported by Canadian law and have every right to defend yourself. No one has the legal or moral right to attack you.
Phone: (604) 876-6390